We are an open church, and welcome all people without distinction.
St Andrew’s exists to be a spiritual resource for both young and old. We try to create an atmosphere which helps people to reflect on the holiness of God, and what God means in our lives. Our services are thoughtful, musical, dignified, but also relaxed. The organ and choir lead our singing.
We believe Christians should try to make the world a better place. We support development work and Christian charities abroad, and we support work in Watford among the homeless, the less well-off, and in the Town Centre.
Our hall is used by local community groups such as a pre-school, support groups, and other activities.
St. Andrew’s owes its location to the railway. A line was opened in 1837, and it was decided that a church was needed to serve the new population that this had created. Work began in 1853 and St Andrew’s became the first Anglican church to be built in Watford since the Reformation. It was designed by the noted architect S. S. Teulon, and was consecrated in 1857.
In 1979 the north aisle was remodelled to provide a church hall and other facilities. A new foyer and accessible toilet were added in 2007.
The tower clock was presented in 1883, and also a peal of hemispherical chimes. In its prime the clock was so well-known for its accuracy that express train drivers were reputed to set their watches by it.
Most of the stained glass is Victorian, but the oldest windows, which came from a collection in Kensington, are nine Flemish medallions dating from around 1640. The strawberry design of their borders resembles a sample in the Victoria and Albert Museum.
More recently, the Church has been used as a location on several occasions, and will be familiar to viewers of EastEnders as one of a number of local churches used by the series for weddings and baptisms.